Monday, May 2, 2011

Home-made falafel

Cooking is very enjoyable for me at the moment. With the sudden influx of fruit fresh of the tree (or not so fresh any more..) from home, there has been a lot of stewing going on in this household. My first mission was stewed apples, which was a success and I've still got a few more to do. Second was stewing feijoas which I've never done before so I just made it up. The feijoas were a little bitter so I added a bit more sugar than I normally would, and they came out really well. I think I prefer them to fresh ones actually. Ryan likes them too, which is a bonus.

Ryan and I sometimes eat vegetarian. not because we don't want meat, mainly just because we don't mind a lack of meat every now and then. It also slightly lowers our weekly shopping bill... Anyway, this week we had falafel burgers, and rather than buying a falafel mix, I decided to go crazy and try making it myself. I had two recipes, one from an edmonds cooking book and another from an australian woman's weekly book and both had some difficult ingredients so I kind of combined them.

If you every fancy some home-made falafel, give this a go. It's easy and really tasty.

Falafel
Makes 3 big or 6 small patties - serves 2
Ingredients:
300g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp tumeric
salt and pepper

Method:
Put it all in a blender and blend.
Cool for about an hour, then shape into patties. Fry each side in hot oil until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment